PPWP Smart Restriction extension allows you to limit the number of users who can access protected content at a time. Instead of letting anyone with passwords to access the content concurrently, you can restrict content access to a single user only. To be specific, if someone has already accessed the protected content, the others won’t be able to unlock content with the valid password until the former user’s cookie expires.
- Password Protect WordPress Lite version 22.214.171.124 or greater
- Password Protect WordPress Pro version 126.96.36.199 or greater
- PPWP Statistics extension version 1.2.0 and greater
- PPWP Smart Restriction extension version 1.0.0 and greater
How to restrict content access to a single user
Once activating our plugins, navigate to Password Protect WordPress >> Smart Restriction menu from your admin dashboard.
Simply enable “Restrict Content Access to Single User” option.
How this feature works
When a user enters a password to access the protected content, our plugin will save the cookie expiration date into PPWP Statistics database. So if other people use the same password to unlock this content, our plugin can detect and block their access.
- Users who have already accessed your protected content before this option is enabled, they can still have access until their cookies expire
- You are required to activate PPWP Statistics extension and enable “Restrict Content Access to Single User” option for data tracking purposes.
If you want to remove the current user’s access to let someone else use the password and view the content before the former user’s cookie expires, you can.
To do so, navigate to Password Protect WordPress >> Statistics.
Click “View detail” of a specific password.
You will see the option to remove the cookie expiration time of the current user.
Once it’s done, the current user will be logged out of the protected content.