Password Protect WordPress (PPWP) Pro gives you the ability to protect the files already embedded in content by simply wrapping them with a shortcode.
- Password Protect WordPress Lite version 188.8.131.52 and greater
- Password Protect WordPress Pro version 1.1.5 and greater
- Prevent Direct Access (PDA) Gold version 184.108.40.206 and greater
Step-by-step to password protect files
Step 1: Protect a file with PDA Gold
There are many ways to protect your private files with PDA Gold plugin. One of them is simply ticking “Protect this file” checkbox while editing.
Step 2: Insert that file into content
Currently, our plugin just protects all files inserted in <a> tag.
So if you want to protect an image or a video, you should use “File” block in Gutenberg editor. It will automatically insert these types of files in <a> tag format.
In case you are using Classic Editor, please copy this code snippet to your content.
<a href="your-file-URL"> Your file name </a>
Step 3: Wrap that file with PPWP shortcode
Similar to password protect a part of content, you need to wrap your protected file with our PPWP shortcode. You can optionally add some description above the shortcode for introduction.
Put some description here (optional) [ppwp passwords=123 headline= "Protected File" Description ="Enter password to unlock and download this file" cookie=1 download_limit=1] <a href="your-file-URL"> Your file name </a> [/ppwp]
Once publish, your content will look like this:
In this example, if users enter right password (123), they will be able to see the file and download it once.
Set cookie expiration time. After that, users have to re-enter passwords.
- Count by hours
- It must be positive integer and no more than 8760
- Get cookie value from the shortcode in which users entered password
- If this attribute is empty, our plugin will get cookie value from settings page
- Default value: 168 hours (7 days)
Set the maximum number of times users can download a file wrapped under shortcode.
- Count by clicks
- It must be positive integer and no more than 8388607
- Default value: 1 click
How does it work?
Once users enter correct passwords, our plugin will auto-generate a self-expiring private link per file. The links will automatically expire after a given download time. Your customers can see and download your protected files but cannot share file URLs with other people.
- The same file URLs will return to the same download private links under one shortcode. In other words, if you insert a pdf file multiple times under one shortcode, our plugin will replace this file with one private download link. Clicking on one link will decrease the download limit of the others.