In this article, we will walk you through the following sections:
- Password Protect WordPress Lite version 1.4.4 or greater
- Password Protect WordPress Pro version 1.1.6 or greater
- PPWP Access Levels version 1.1.3 or greater
What are the quick access links?
A quick access link is created by combining 2 parts:
- page URL where you want users to access
- access token allowing users to access the content directly without entering a password
A quick access link will be something like https://passwordprotectwp.com/demo/product-category/clothing/accessories/?ppwp_al=eyJwYXNzd29yZCI6InBhc3N3b3JkX2xldmVsMCJ9
How to generate quick access links
Step 1: Get the page URL.
Step 2: Get an access token.
After protecting a category with PPWP Access Levels, switch to the Manage Passwords and click on “Copy Access Token” button.
Our plugin will automatically generate an access token corresponding to a password. It should be something like
A few things are worth noting:
- The level of the password must be equal or higher than the level of a protected category
- An access link is associated with one password by default. That means when you edit/ deactivate/ activate/ delete a password, you’re editing/ deactivating/ activating/ deleting the corresponding access link.
Step 3: Combine page URL and access token to create a quick access link.
It’s important to know that a link can not include more than one question mark (?). So if your page URL follows this format https://passwordprotectwp.com/demo/?cat=45, the access link will be like below:
How quick access links work
If your users access protected content via its original link, e.g. https://passwordprotectwp.com/demo/product-category/clothing/accessories/, they will be prompted to enter a valid password to unlock the content. However, if they use the quick access link, they can see the protected content directly.
Our plugin also saves a cookie containing a password to their browser at the same time. As a result, users are able to re-visit the page multiple times without proving a password until the cookie expires.
- You can modify the cookie expiration time under our plugin’s settings page.
- If users re-access the page via the quick access link, a new cookie will be generated and override the existing one.